Thursday, October 21, 2010

HP Mallory Interviews Toni LoTempio

HP: Hello to everyone and welcome to this month's author interview! Today we have with us Toni LoTempio, author of the new release, No Rest for the Wicca. Now, Toni and I go way back because we both used to have the same agent. Sigh...LOL So, welcome Toni!

Toni: Hey, HP. Thanks for having me! Who'd have ever thought we'd be "indies" together :)

HP: Okay, for your first question, tell us about the title of No Rest. I love that title and I know you've had lots of people who have loved it. How did you come up with it?

Toni: I took it from a phrase I heard my mother say a lot: "There's no rest for the wicked." Since Morgan in the story is a half-Wiccan, witch, I thought it was cute.

HP: Now, tell us about the book. What is the book about?

Toni: Morgan Hawkes is a paranormal investigator who's a half-wiccan witch. She's got the ability to connect with ghosts, but her father was a voodoo bokor, so she's got that bit of dark knowledge deep within her, and it scares her, particularly after what happened in her past. When she's approached by an undercover agency to help them regarding a rash of murdering witches that appear to have a voodoo slant, she's a bit reluctant at first - until she meets the lead on the case, Cole St. John, a dashing Inheritor Vampire. (cue romantic music). So you get the idea :) sort of a "Moonlighting meets Dark Shadows" deal.

HP: So, you know I have to ask you about our agent. Without mentioning names, can you give us a little info as to how you ended up with her and your story about becoming an indie?

Toni: Aha, I knew you were going to ask this (big grin). Well, I like yourself, had Agent Z for almost two years. My book (not this current one) went on submission, and almost got picked up by NAL - it went all the way to the acquisition board, but got turned down because someone else had something similar coming out first (timing is everything, make no mistake about it!). Said Agent Z seemed to lose interest after that, would not return phonecalls, emails, the book never went out on another round, so...eventually I had to part ways with Agent Z. then I started shopping a rewrite of that book around - a few nibbles, but no real interest. The market had tanked by that point. I decided to take a little break from writing, and you, my dear friend, HP Mallory, came up with the brilliant suggestion to me - GO INDIE. Most publishing houses change your original book anyway so you can barely recognize it, so I did. :)

HP: As you know, Halloween is around the corner. Any fun traditions you do on Halloween?

Toni: I used to give an annual Halloween party - it's my favorite holiday after Christmas - and I love to dress up! Unfortunately, the economy has curtailed my party giving efforts, so...I'll probably just dress the cats up instead. (grin)

HP: Do you believe in ghosts? If so, ever seen one?

Toni: I do, most emphatically, believe in ghosts, or angels. I've had too many close calls (particularly while driving) not to. I believe definitely that there is something - don’t know just what - but there is something after death. And honestly, I'm not in a hurry to find out :)

HP: So, is No Rest your first book? Is it a series? If it is a series, when will the next one be out?

Toni: NO REST FOR THE WICCA is my first indie, but definitely not my first book. I had originally planned a sequel, even have the outline written, so maybe when I get time after all my other projects I'll sit down and write it.

HP: Of all your books you've written, which of your male characters do you think is the hunkiest and why?

Toni: I'm assuming you mean of the books that are published? Or unpublished? Of published, I'd say definitely Cole St. John in Wicca, although one editor called him "flat and one dimensional". I beg to differ. The guy is hot! Of the unpublished works, I'd say Logan Slade, my other vampiric detective. Hopefully someday the world will know him (grins)

HP: What is your favorite supernatural creature?

Toni: Hm...that's a toughie. Probably a vampire. I know they're overdone as hell, but...they're all HOT! And when I was young(er) I had a terrific crush on Barnabas Collins from the soap, DARK SHADOWS. I even went down to the studio and met Jonathan Frid! I cannot wait for the Johnny Depp remake of that!

HP: Where can we find out more about you and your books? What about links to where we can purchase your books?

Toni: You can find most of my books at Barnes and Noble, the Whiskey Creek site, Echelon Press, Amazon. Some are available in paperback as well as e-books. You can get info from my website, www.freewebs.com/toni1953
I also do a blog over at Fallout Entertainment: http://tclotempio.falloutentertainmentgroup.com/?p=86

Here are some purchase Links:
Whiskey Creek Press: http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=96&zenid=ec9fb959dfaa32e1b91cc0b71b0bc3aa

Barnes and Noble:
http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=lotempio

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/NO-REST-WICCA-ebook/dp/B00427ZIIG/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287572071&sr=1-3


HP: What are your most favorite urban fantasy/ paranormal romance books?

Toni: I like Caitlin Kittredge's Night Life series. Her Black London, not so much. And I like Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse series, Kimberley Raye's Dead End Dating Series, and Victoria Laurie's two series. Also the earlier works of Stephen King. I like a lot, actually :) I also am fond of the Maggie O'Dell series by Alex Kava, although that's not paranormal.

HP: What are you reading now?

Toni: Oddly, something that's not paranormal (grin) My other passion is writing thrillers, and right now I'm reading the Rizzoli and Isles series by Tess Gerritsen. Excellent! If you havne't read them, I strongly advise you do!

HP: Thanks so much for chatting with me today, Toni. We all wish you much success with your book! Until next time, this is HP signing off! Happy Halloween!

Toni: And you too, HP, and all your readers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment